Well, Aslana is no longer mine (and I’m no longer a fleet admiral). A guy at work who is getting in to sailing in Ireland asked to look at her, we went for a test sail, and we shook hands.
After I sailed Aslana for a while, I decided to re-fit her for single-handed sailing. This meant leading lots of lines back to the cockpit, and upgrading the captive winches to self-tailers. The ones on the coachroof were installed at
With the primer on, I picked one of the bright white Toplac paints for the upper half of Aslana’s rudder. The first coat had to be sanded back off, as the roller brush left a bunch of “lint” all over
With the damaged portion of the rudder repaired, it’s time to paint the rudder. Priming coat first, second priming coat in two days if needed, and then I need to decide on a topcoat colour. Mind you, since I’m selling
Towards the end of the last season, it was mentioned to me that a dinghy from the local sailing school had been observed colliding with Aslana. When she was lifted out, I discovered that a chunk of the rudder was
A clip from sailing in Dublin Bay, achieved by using a squeeze clamp to clamp my phone to the hatch. Originally broadcast on Facebook.