Skip to content
1 hour, 15 minutes
- 250g long macaroni
- 1 tbsp butter
- 675g sharp cheddar, grated
- 1 egg
- 240ml evaporated milk
- 1 small grated onion
- 1 tsp hot English mustard
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper sauce or cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 finely chopped sweet pepper
- 2 tbsp fine breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp butter
- 2 tbsp grated cheddar cheese
- Bring a pot of salted water to the boil, and cook the long macaroni (broken to fit in the pot as necessary). Cook the pasta to al dente, about 8 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 180 C, a bit less for a fan oven.
- Drain macaroni thoroughly, and put back in the hot saucepan, add the butter.
- Add the grated cheese to the macaroni, in the warm pot, and mix as you add.
- Whisk the egg until fluffy, add the milk, onion powder, white pepper, salt, pepper sauce, ketchup, and mustard.
- Add the egg mixture to the macaroni, mixing as you go.
- Place the mixture into a greased casserole dish. Top with a little butter, the 2 tbsp of grated cheddar, and the fine breadcrumbs.
- Cook for 30 – 45 minutes.
- Try to not consume immediately.