740964_289416377828742_291888077_o

Handrails and the coachroof

Spent 5 hours working on Aslana today. Started the repair to the forward hatch coaming; it’ll get finished on the next sunny day, so that the epoxy will have at least semi-set when I close the hatch for the night. Today was about 12 degrees C, so just enough to get the first batch setting properly before I left for the day.

Decided that the handrails needed to be cleaned up, so I took them off of the coachroof (after a bit of swearing at the sealant that had bonded them to it – pulling on the handrail flexed the coachroof!) and applied liberal amounts of 80 grit and 240 grit sandpaper (on a mouse, lovely little tool). Also applied sandpaper to the areas where the rails are bonded to the coachroof; they’re pretty mucky with things like varnish on them. Well, they were pretty mucky, they’re now much better.

Found one of the rails has some water damage in a single foot, but that’s all scraped away ready for filling with epoxy and colloidal. They’re a lovely pair of teak handrails, and a pleasure to work on; though it did take about 3 hours of sanding!

Shrouds complete

The last set of shrouds have been installed. The mast and rigging work is now complete and the sailmaker will hopefully come past this weekend to measure Aslana for a new set of sails (genoa and main).

Barring all the small jobs, like the rudder, water tank, electrics and anti-fouling paint, she’s ready for the season. Of course, all those small jobs will take up the next 3 months.

Identifying old bits

After perusing the manufacturer’s brochure for the Pandora International, I’ve realised that the following items (minimum) are probably from 1974:

  • until yesterday, her boom (or at least it was the exact same layout)
  • her rudder
  • the hand pump in the galley (which is getting replaced)
  • the sliding table on port
  • the put-away table on starboard
  • the bulkheads
  • the orange curtains
  • the bunk cushion covers, and possibly the cushions themselves
Testing the fit and measuring the forestay for the Furlex.

New Mast!

The old mast has been carved up, and the new mast has been stepped. The rigging is attached, and the roller-furling was assembled on-site and then attached.

Thank goodness this was a short mast, because it still took 4 people to put it up. Had the boat been any longer, we’d probably have needed a crane.